My first novel!
A Soldier’s Embrace is a sweet, yet exciting story. The characters are captivating and the settings are perfect. The dialogue between the characters is well written and realistic. Ms. Romero has written a great historical romance.

Bonnie-Lass
Reviewer for Coffee Time Romance & More

Where authors and readers come together!

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Are you smarter than a turnip?

I just got off the phone with the bank where I have my IRA. I want to roll it over into a Roth IRA. I thought it was simple enough. I get this guy who sounds like the nerd scientist from the Simpson's only his voice was more nasally and higher. I just know this guy had a pocket protector.

He's telling me all about how this call is a taxable event and have I spoken to my accountant and what income tax bracket am I in. Lord! He puts me on hold several times-probably to bang his head against the desk and then comes back. Ms. Romero? The poor guy starts again. "A conversion such as this is a taxable event, you'll need to check with your accountant on the percentage of the thing with the what in the dohicky. "
When he finally stopped talking, I asked. "Can you repeat that in English?"

Sure he said and jumped right back into explaining the tax thing with the what and the doolibob, money withheld, something something fnork.

There was a pause and thinking it might help, I blinked a couple of times. Nope, I still didn't get it.

I cleared my throat and pushed up my glasses and said..."Duh...I don't know. I have no idea what you're talking about. I write romance novels."

He told me to call back after I speak to my accountant. I wanted to ask him to tell me yet again "And what do I say to my accountant?" Thank God I have Kyle!

Needless to say, I won't be applying for any math jobs.

2 comments:

  1. Oh, didn't you just want to crawl through that line and say, "I don't speak taxes! Spell it out, knucklehead!"

    Good to have you back! How's the sequel coming along?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ethelmae!
    Good to talk to you. To say I felt stupid is an understatement. I got him on the account so he can now do these calls for me.

    The sequel is finally coming along. Since our puppy Molly is calming down now, I can start writing again. I scraped everything I was writing and started over. I have one snag in my plot line, but I think I can work it out with research-which is my favorite thing! I'm no longer working, quit, so now I'm sending out my resumes. Life is good though! Hope all is well with you!

    ReplyDelete